External Shutters VS Grilles
Security measures for luxury homes
The choice between installing large external Security Shutters and the compact internal Security Grilles isn't a choice to be taken lightly. Both offer a certain amount of protection but knowing the differences may help you decide the best course of action to take.
With both options, Shutters and Grilles are typically fitted to easily accessible parts of the home, doors, windows and large sections of glass screens primarily on the ground floor. However this is not limited and may also be placed on balconies for some homes or doorways you may want to keep secure.
The obvious benefits of having these security measures are the protection for your home, there are some inherent negatives are that it will make your home target considering the increased security. Keeping an intruder alarm on is also recommended even in the unlikley case extensive tampering and dismantling of a physical barrier occurs.
External Shutters come in a wide variety of customisable options with large protection values. Grilles are not as customisable however their ease of use and simple intruder deterrant makes them an effective cheap solution.
- A visible effective physical barrier for delaying and outright stopping intrudors, with the additional benefit of preventing anyone from viewing inside your property and protection from vandalism to windows.
- Requires maintenance as they are exposed to the weather.
- Less effective in remote locations where neighbours cannot see and report tampering or attempted intrusions.
- Planning permission is required to be installed onto homes .
- May be denied installation in certain areas that will diminish aesthetic appeal.
- Could prevent emergency services from entering the building when down.
- Can open and close multiple shutters simultaneously all around the home with automatic opening.
- Acts as an additional physical barrier behind windows and doors to delay entry from intrudors.
- Can come slatted to still allow light into the home.
- Cannot be tampered with unless the initial window or door has been broken into.
- Planning permission not usually required however should still be checked regardless.
- Retractable grilles allow sliding the grille in and out of view quickly and easily.
- Can be placed within doorways within the home.
For heavy all round security, Security Shutters provide the highest more effective long term option, securing the doors and windows itself to protect from vandalism.
For light protection within the home, Security Grilles are the best option, being able to manually open where only one or two doorways may need protection.