Now is the time to think about your physical security on your work or home premises. Security grilles and shutters properly specified and installed will give the best possible peace of mind during the longer dark nights of Autumn and Winter.
Sensible security measures will significantly reduce the chances of becoming a victim of burglary. Start by checking that any existing measures work properly. Then contact the local Crime Prevention Officer (CPO) at a local Police Station. They are able to offer impartial advice on security measures and how to avoid becoming a victim of burglary.
Follow these tips to improve your home security and reduce the risk of burglary:
- Front and back doors must be secure, two thirds of burglars gain entry through a door. Don’t leave keys in or near the door and don’t leave valuables lying around. If choosing new doors and windows they should be fitted with high security ‘deadlocks’ that carry British Standard BS3621. The Seceuroguard collapsible security grille range offers practical and stylish security for doors and windows of any size and are discreet when open during normal use.
- For particularly vulnerable openings or for houses that are left unoccupied for long periods of time, particularly over the Christmas holidays, window bars, retractable gates or security shutters should be used and should be certified to LPS 1175-1. The Seceuroguard 1001 range is ideal
- Ensure all doors and windows are locked when going out – even if it’s just to the corner shop or into the back garden. If there is no forced entry, it is unlikely that insurance companies will pay out. Doors should be locked even when someone is at home and especially at night.
The range of Hormann Thermopro steel entrance doors have very high levels of security through excellent design and state of the art locking systems.
Take a look if you are thinking of a new front or rear door for your home.
- Ensure the perimeter of the property is secure and well-lit. Lock side and front gates when not in use and ensure garden sheds are locked and secure. Outdoor lighting makes it difficult for burglars to hide and security measures will put them off entering the property.
- The garage is the most vulnerable part of a property. They can be a particularly easy target when separate to the house. They often contain valuable tools and equipment such as bicycles creating a prime target for opportunist thieves. Ensure your garage door is secure by using extra locking and good lighting or by choosing a door certified to LPS 1175-1. Garage windows can be fitted with our range of Seceuroguard fixed window grilles, an ideal low cost high security measure for windows that are very rarely opened.
The range of Securoglide electric roller doors in the Excel specification and the Hormann and Carteck sectional doors offer very high levels of security if specificed correctly. If your garage door has seen better days then take a look at these superb doors.
- Intruder alarms can be a good way to protect your home and are particularly effective when used in conjunction with good quality physical security measures
Courtesy of SWS UK marketing - Leaders in Physical security products for the home and business